Before the Cyclone Season
- Check the house; secure loose tiles and carry out repairs of doors and windows.
- Remove dead branches or dying trees close to the house; anchor removable objects such as lumber piles, loose tin sheets, loose bricks, garbage cans, sign-boards etc. which can fly in strong winds.
- Keep some wooden boards ready so that glass windows can be boarded if needed.
- Keep a hurricane lantern filled with kerosene, battery operated torches and enough dry cells.
- Demolish condemned buildings.
- Keep some extra batteries for transistors.
- Keep some dry non-perishable food always ready for use in emergency.
When the Cyclone Starts
- Listen to the radio. Keep monitoring the warnings. This will help you prepare for a cyclone emergency.
- Pass the information to others.
- Ignore rumors and do not spread them; this will help to avoid panic situations.
- Believe in the official information.
- When a cyclone alert is on for your area continue normal working but stay alert to the radio warnings. Stay alert for the next 24 hours as a cyclone alert means that the danger is within 24 hours.
When Evacuation is instructed :
- Pack essentials for yourself and your family to last a few days. These should include medicines, special food for babies and children or elders.
- Head for the proper shelter or evacuation points indicated for your area.
- Do not worry about your property.
- At the shelter follow instructions of the person in charge.
- Remain in the shelter untill you are informed to leave.
- You should remain in the shelter until informed that you can return to your home. You must get inoculated against diseases immediately.
- Strictly avoid any loose and dangling wires from lamp posts. If you have to drive, do drive carefully.
- Clear debris from your premises immediately.
- Report the correct losses to appropriate authorities.
Emergency Kit :
- Battery operated torch
- Extra batteries
- Battery operated radio
- First aid kit and essential medicines
- Cash and Important documents (Ration card, Voter ID card, Aadhar card etc.)
- Emergency food (dry items) and water (packed and sealed)
- Candles and matches in a waterproof container
- Chlorine tablets or powdered water purifiers
- Thick ropes and cords