The purpose of making a hydrographic survey is ____.
A. to determine the quantities of subaqueous excavations
B. to measure areas subjected to souring and silting in harbours
C. to measure soundings and preparing navigation charts
D. All of the above
Answer: Option D – All of the above
Hydrographic Surveying is the survey of physical features present underwater. It is the science of measuring all factors beneath the water that affect all the marine activities like dredging, marine constructions, offshore drilling etc.
Uses of hydrographic surveying are given
1. Depth of the bed can be determined i.e. measure soundings.
2. Navigation Chart can be prepared.
3. To determine the quantities of subaqueous excavations.
4. Locate sewer fall by measuring direct
currents, Locating mean sea level.
5. Scouring, silting and irregularities of the bed can be identified.
6. Tide measurement, River and stream discharge measurement
7. Massive structures like bridges, dams
harbors are planned.